1913

Ground breaking and laying of cornerstone for Saint Andrew’s combination chapel and school

1914 

Saint Andrew’s Church established by Reverend Andrew M. Egan, pastor of Saint Mary Star of the Sea, Bayonne, New Jersey.

First Church – combination church and school, on the Southwest corner of West Fourth Street and Story Court.

1914 

September 8 – Saint Andrew’s School opened with an enrollment of 312 children and six Sisters of Saint Joseph.

1914 

November 30 – Reverend Charles J. Doyle appointed pastor of Saint Andrew’s Church by Bishop John J. O’Connor.

1914 

December 6 – Murray property at 125 Broadway purchased as the new rectory.

1915 

January 14 – Atwood property at 24 West Third Street purchased as a convent for the Sisters of Saint Joseph.

1922 

September 24 – Laying of the cornerstone for the present church building.

1923 

New church dedicated by Bishop John J. O’Connor.

1931 

October 5 – Brady property on Broadway and Fourth Street purchased as a site for the convent.

1932 

May 28 – Blessing of new convent at 128 Broadway.Installation and blessing of Stations of the Cross in Chapel.

1941 

June 19 – Reverend Charles J . Doyle elevated to the rank of a domestic prelate by Archbishop Thomas J . Walsh.

1943 

October 19 – Reilly property adjoining the present rectory purchased as a site for the new rectory.

1944 

May 3 – Solemn Consecration of Saint Andrew’s Church by Bishop Thomas A. Boland, future Archbishop of Newark.

1950 

February 16 – Death of Monsignor Charles J. Doyle, first pastor of Saint Andrew’s Church.

1950 

May 12 – Kenny and Tomei properties, adjacent to the convent, purchased as a site for the new school.

1950 

June 15 – Reverend Daniel J. O’Reilly appointed pastor of Saint Andrew’s Church by Archbishop Thomas J. Walsh.

1953

December 8- Ground breaking ceremonies for new school.

1954

March 17 – Construction of new school begins.

1954

June- Addition of third floor to the convent.

1955

May 30-Dedication of new school by Archbishop Thomas A. Boland.

1959

Dedication of new rectory.

1961

March 20 – Archbishop Boland launches archdiocesan building campaign Reverend Daniel J. O’Reilly appointed chairman.

1961

May 22- Saint Andrew Catholic Youth Organization joins other parish groups at Roosevelt Stadium to form LIVING ROSARY for success of Vatican II.

1962

June 11 – Thirty-fifth and twentieth anniversary tributes to Monsignor Daniel J. O’Reilly and Reverend Stanislaus J. Hojnowski by Saint Andrew’s parishioners.

1963

January 20-Reverend Daniel J. O’Reilly elevated to the rank of domestic prelate by Most Reverend Thomas A. Boland, Archbishop of Newark.

1965

May 16- Dedication of new convent by Most Rev. Martin W. Stanton, D.D., Auxiliary Bishop of Newark.

1970

June 24- Death of Rt. Rev. Msgr. Daniel J. O’Reilly, second pastor of St. Andrew’s.

1970

September 12- Appointment of Rev. Edward F. Wojtycha, third pastor of Saint Andrew’s.

1974

March 31 -Mandating Ceremony for first Lay Eucharistic Ministers of Saint Andrew’s Parish.

1976

Establishment of Saint Andrew’s Adult Choir.

1977

October 21-22 – Parish Spiritual Renewal.

1978

June 15 – Fortieth Anniversary tribute to Rev. Edward F. Wojtycha.

1979

July 6- Church renovation and enclosure of chapel area.

1983

Rev. Edward F. Wojtycha elevated to the rank of Domestic Prelate with the title Rev. Monsignor.

1985

May 31- Retirement of Monsignor Wojtycha.

1985

June 1 – Appointment of Rev. John M. Golding as fourth pastor of Saint Andrew’s.

1985

June 15 – Solemn Installation of Rev. John M. Golding as pastor by Most Rev. Theodore E. Me Carrick, Ph. D. Archbishop of Newark.

1986

Rev. John M. Golding elected Dean of Bayonne parishes with the title, Very Reverend.

1988

May 22 – Pentecost and Fortieth Anniversary Mass of Thanksgiving for V. Rev. John M. Golding, V.F.

1988

August 11 – Moonlight Sail up Hudson River initiating Diamond Jubilee Year for Saint Andrew’s Parish.

1988

Nov. 16-Death ofV. Rev. John M. Golding, V.F. fourth pastor of Saint Andrew’s.

1988

Nov. 27 – Diamond Jubliee of Saint Andrew’s Parish and Solemn Mass of Thanksgiving, Most Rev. Jerome A. Pechillo, T.O.R., D.D., Vicar of Hudson County

1989

February 19 Appointment of Rev. John R. Doherty, fifth pastor of Saint Andrew’s Church.

1989

March 12- Solemn Installation of Rev. John R. Doherty by Most Rev. Jerome A. Pechillo, T.O.R., D.D., Vicar of Hudson County.

Also available in: Spanish